As the clock ticks down on the Canada-US Beyond the Border and Regulatory Cooperation initiatives, businesses and interest groups are taking advantage of the public comment process to influence the governmental agendas for these programs. The US sought comments on regulatory cooperation through a Federal Register notice while Canada established a dedicated consultation website. Both of these consultative windows are closed now and officials expect to make announcements on the border vision and regulator cooperation workplans in September. (See the Terms of Reference here.) Meanwhile, a reading of the recently published Canadian border and regulatorysummaries provides some inklings of the two governments’ likely scope and direction. PS, for those who keep track of political labelling, the Border Vision strategy morphed into Beyond the Border: A Shared Vision for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness. Five dollars says we’re calling it PSEC by the new year.
- Risks with no reward: why Canada needs to stand up against U.S. proposals for bulk imports of pharmaceutical medicines
- Defence First: The Geopolitics of the USMCA
- NAFTA 2.0: Rhetoric vs. Reality Pt. 4
- NAFTA 2.0: RHETORIC VS. REALITY PT. 3
- Why NAFTA matters for your small business… Even if you don’t export